Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

1. Does the CS Residency track provide protected time during Residency training?

All CS Residents have an additional year of Residency. During the research year, 80% of Residents’ work time is protected for research activities, and the remaining 20% for clinical work. Residents will also be allowed to extend beyond the 80% cap with the approval of their PD and research mentor.

2. What is the funding support available?

Residents can apply for research grants such as the SingHealth Foundation Research Grants. In addition to grants, Residents are eligible to apply for a one-time National Medical Research Council (NMRC) Seed Funding of up to $50,000 for a pilot project.

3. What are the requirements for successful exit from CS Residency programme?

Residents will need to achieve the following:

  1. at least the Master of Clinical Investigation (MCI) or equivalent, and
  2. at least a first-author publication in a reputable peer-reviewed journal

For specialty specific requirements, Residents should discuss with their PD and research mentor.

4. At which point am I allowed to pursue the MCI?

The MCI is a two-year part-time programme. Residents can embark on the MCI at any Residency year as long as the Residency training requirements are also met. Residents have to obtain the PD’s endorsement as well as the Residency Advisory Committee’s (RAC’s) approval submitted together with the applications.

Residents who have already obtained research qualifications (e.g. PhD) may be exempted from MCI, subjected to SAB Research Committee’s (SRC’s) approval.

5. Can I pursue other research qualifications during my research year?

Residents who are interested to pursue other research qualifications (e.g. Diploma, Masters, or PhD) equivalent to MCI during their research year will need to seek prior clearance and approval from SRC. Residents can also apply for local or overseas research attachments.