Basic Conversational Chinese Course
This course is designed for healthcare professionals who have little or no knowledge of conversational Chinese to communicate with patients and their family members. The course aims to develop basic listening and speaking skills with an emphasis on accuracy and fluency. Participants will also gain insight into the Chinese culture. English will be used as the medium of teaching to facilitate learning.
At the end of the course, participants will be able to:
• Converse in simple Mandarin with patients and their family members
• Achieve a better understanding of patients’ concerns and needs
• Answer enquiries in spoken Mandarin
General topics include:
• Numbers-cardinal and ordinal
• Asking basic questions and answering enquiries
• Describing processes, objects and people
• Anatomy description
• Functional language used in consultations
• Giving instructions
• Explaining and reassuring
• Paraphrasing and clarifying
• Advising and warning
• Body anatomy system – cardiovascular, dental, gynecological, musculoskeletal, neurological,
• Understanding symptoms – common medical expressions used by patients and family members
1st run (FY17/18): Starting 13 June 2017 (Every Tuesday and Thursday)
2nd run (FY17/18): Starting 24 January 2018 (Every Wednesday and Friday)
30 hours (Twice a week; 2 hours per session)
Course schedule will be provided upon successful registration.
Connection One, 168 Jalan Bukit Merah, Tower 3, #06-07, Singapore 150168
SS$300 (SingHealth rate, excluding GST)
(payment details will be advised upon successful registration)
*NOTE: Please obtain approval from your head of department and HR by submitting the necessary institutional training request before sending in your registration.
To register, please email the following information to email@example.com -
Department and institution:
Mode of payment: Cheque / Sponsored by Department (please provide billing information):
Registration is on a first-come, first-served basis. Successful registrants will be notified via email with information on payment details.
In line with the Singapore Personal Data Protection Act (PDPA), please note that we have updated our SingHealth Data Protection Policy, a copy of which is available at http://www.singhealth.com.sg/pdpa. Hard copies are also available on request.